Every year all executive positions at APSC are up for grabs.
If you’re interested in helping to run your club, you may run for any position. The only qualifications are that you have a passion for the club, a desire to make the club even better, and someone to nominate you. Don’t feel intimidated. As ling as you have passion, you’ll be able to handle the tasks.
While the executive are not alone in keeping the club running (there are many members who step up every day to help out) the executive member is often the leader who is responsible for organization and planning. We also meet monthly to discuss and vote on any issues that have arisen on behalf of the membership.
If you want to know more about what the executives do you can ask any current or past executive, and you can also attend the exec meetings (Usually the second Monday of the month, but you can confirm with a current executive member).
What do the positions do?
- The commodore runs the exec and general meetings, and sets out the vision for the club.
- They are also the main contact for all club business.
- The vice commodore assists the commodore, and will run the meetings if the commodore is not able to attend.
- This is the party planner – the one with the fun!
- This is the main person who organizes all the races we have, and is our representative to PHRF-LO.
Members at large:
- This individual is our representative outside the club. They are the main rep to the city of Toronto, the TRCA, and other outside organizations.
House and Grounds:
- H&G is responsible for everything on land. This includes the clubhouse, washrooms, beach area, sheds, etc.
- The Harbour master takes care of everything that floats. Eg: the docks, club boat, and mooring balls.
- The secretary records the minutes of all the meetings and is the “official records keeper”™.
- This is our accountant and bookkeeper.
- They collect the money and write the checks.
- Membership signs new people up to become part of our APSC family.
Marketing & Communications:
- The individual in this position lets the public know we exist, and keeps the members informed about what’s going on.
- This is our only APSC position that is not directly elected. This position is held by the immediate previous commodore to help ensure a smooth transition to the new executives.
If you still have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask any current or former exec.